Code Enforcement

Benton County Code Enforcement

Washington's state and local governments have enacted various building and zoning codes to protect your life, health, and property. 
If you suspect that a building or zoning violation is occurring, you can file a Request for Investigation. After you file the Request for Investigation, the Code Enforcement Officer will verify that the complaint is a valid code violation within his jurisdiction. If it is not within his jurisdiction, he will forward the case to the appropriate agency. In many cases, violations are brought into compliance within one to three months. The County has the authority to fine the owner and to issue citations if the owner is unwilling to comply with the code(s). 

Please fill out as much information as you can on the Investigation Form.  If you need help finding the address, parcel number or owner information, you can contact the Benton County Assessor’s Office at (509) 736-3088. 

If you request it on the form, your name will be kept confidential.  However, please be aware that if this action is taken to court anything provided to Code Enforcement will become public information.

What types of violations does Code Enforcement handle?

The following types of violations should be referred to the Benton County Code Enforcement Officer using a Request for Investigation Form:

Zoning code violations
Dangerous buildings
Illegal placement of mobile homes
Oversized and illegally placed signs
Right of way construction
Construction without a permit
Junk cars
Shoreline Violations
Other land use violations, hazards or nuisances

If my issue isn't a Code Enforcement matter, who do I call?

The Benton Franklin Health District 
(509) 460-4200 should be contacted regarding violations for on-site sewage (septic) systems, wells, animal carcasses, animal waste, garbage/rodent problems and other environmental health problems.

The Benton County Fire Marshal (509) 735-3500 should be contacted regarding dry vegetation, overgrown weeds and other fire hazards.

The Benton County Road Department (509) 786-5611 should be contacted regarding road drainage and maintenance, traffic signs, or obstructions in the County right of way. 

The Benton County Sheriff (509) 628-0333 should be contacted regarding noise problems/trespassing, public disturbance, loud noise, potentially dangerous animals and abandoned vehicles. 

The Benton Clean Air Authority regulates when it is okay to burn and handles blowing dust complaints. Their Burn Line Phone Number is 946-4489.  When calling the burn line you will need to know if your property is outside or inside of the Urban Growth Area (UGA).  To find out if your property is in the UGA please call the Planning Department at (509) 786-5612.

      Code Compliance & Enforcement

      Code Compliance Officer

      Clark A. Posey


      Code Enforcement

      Officer D. Wilson

      (509) 222-2301


      Fire Marshal

      Ken Williams

      (509) 735-3500 Ext 6



      Benton County    620 Market Street    Prosser, Washington 99350
      Phone: (509) 786-5710 or (509) 783-1310
      Site Map   |   Employment   |   Powered by MunicipalCMS
      E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook